Sunday, May 11, 2014

Glass and Guns collide!













I find it interesting that companies, business, restaurants, have begun to ban the use of Google Glass in their establishments. As a business with concerns of data protection, I can understand how this could be of vital importance, but as restaurants and public areas have banned them, it makes no sense. 

It is no different than pulling out a phone and grabbing a snapshot, its just a matter of convenience for the person taking the picture. The same thought goes into taking the picture with Glass as a person taking a picture with their phone or camera. You probably wouldn't take candid photos of others with Glass without their knowledge and consent.

In that way, it can be compared to a gun. As an open carry activist I am often asked about my sidearm, and most people walk away assured of their safety, rather than panicked of the idea of a gun in the vicinity. I think this applies the same way with Glass. 

As a responsible operator of the device in question, do you shun the individual for carrying it, or do thank the individual who was able to help in an out of control situation? 

If a person is robbing a bank and has the cleverness to spray paint all the cameras on the wall, would you still be upset for me wearing  Glass and snapping a few shots or video recording the whole event? No...you'd be all up in my business wanting every bit of evidence you could get a hold of, as soon as possible. 

The same holds for the firearm, do you want me stand by and let them rob your liquor store, or would you be glad of my intervention? 

Starbucks has had the sense to stay out of the firearm carriers way, and it has received very little gruff from either side. If I carry my gun into your store while I wear Glass on my head....which would upset you more? 

Glass is a tool in the same way a firearm is. It can be used to hurt or to help, and it is entirely up to the person carrying it to decide how to best handle the given situation. 


Image taken from Wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment